IT will never be an income generator. But that does not mean you get to slash the IT budget year over year. Companies tend to forget that they can not function without IT. Employees tend to think of IT only when things are bad, but keep in mind that for you to do your job, we already did ours. There is a direct relationship between employee productivity, and IT spend. To keep people productive, get them newer computers with faster processors, more memory, and bigger hard drives. Invest in better internet connections and better firewalls. Get that speed up as fast as you can, while still maintaining security. The ROI on IT investment proves itself quickly.
Not having enough security. Yes, I could have lumped points one and two together as companies should spend more on security, but the reason it is separate is companies need to spend a lot more on security. Email phishing attempts are on the rise. More and more clients end up with data on the Dark web. So if you are not going to be buying into new computers, or internet speeds, spend your money here. Ensure you have the following:
Many companies tend to say, “We aren’t public enough to hack. No one wants our data.” That is 100% not-true. Hackers don’t hack because they are targeting you (ok, some do), but in most cases, they are hacking you because they can. For them, it’s a game. Can I get into this system? What can I gather from this system? Many times the easiest thing to hack is a website. The number of WordPress sites we’ve seen hacked because of not taking the right precautions is too high. And the repercussions of those breaches can be time consuming and expensive. Be smart and put the proper protections in place.
Yes, in IT, we want to have total control over things, and having more tools is harder to manage - but when it comes to employees, we need them to be as productive as possible. Why do we force companies to be only PC or only Mac? Let the employees decide what machines they want to use. Make them feel welcome to come to IT with suggestions on new apps or services. There is a delicate balance between streamlining processes and preventing efficiency. Ensure you regularly check in with your employees on their satisfaction with your toolsets, take suggestions, and stay agile. Some of the most effective IT setups are those in which employees have choices between a predetermined, secure set of options.
I’m guilty of this one myself. We often buy into multiple software solutions to get to 100% accomplishment, when a single solution could do 80%. To determine if a solution is going to work, you need to go all in. When you find something that can get you 80% of the way there, chances are it will be a better decision in the long run than trying to Frankenstein together multiple solutions that will eventually misplace one another and cause many headaches. Choose partners with strong service capability, flexibility, and staying power. After some time with that 80% solution, you may realize you don’t even need the other 20% you were initially looking for.
© 2020 All Rights Reserved | Virtua Consulting Group